Monday, May 19, 2008

May 18 - Aldea to Caceres

Tough night last night but on we went. I got to cook last night and no one ate with us, so we left a big pot of chicken soup. I hope someone tonight will eat it. The temperature is dropping and the wind is picking up. The highlight of my day was when we were walking along a very large pasture and the sheepherder called out to his dogs to move them out. Into our camino. They stayed several yards ahead of us most of the time. There were a couple of sheep who limped (I sympathize) and could not keep up with the herd. They stepped away from the others and stayed behind. Suddenly the dogs turned all the others back around and they headed towards us. Ahead of us, coming at us, were a couple hundred sheep if not more! I had no place to go, and when they got close enough they stopped. We stopped. We jsut kind of stared at each other. I thought, now what? I assume they were thinking the same thing. The dog barked and I told Salvador, I am moving ahead. Suddenly they were moving ahead too and we were surrounded by them. They were scared of us and wanted to avoid us, and I was a bit nervous with the thought of trampling, but we all did just fine. I started singing the tune to Rawhide. *Rolls Eyes* We walked on and came across an airplane field, and read a sign "Danger, Airplane Field - This does not Affect Pîlgrims".
Whatever that means. Just to the other side of it was an old Roman fountain, which water no one should dare drink. We stop for lunch at a gas station where they have made a sweet little gazebo with a picnic table for us. There were a couple of Spanish men we had met earlier on the camino. They were stopping in Caceres and going home until December when they plan to take it back up again.. Alot of people do this. Unable to take 6 or 7 weeks off, they do the Via a couple of weeks at a time until they finish it.
BUT REALLY, WOULD SOMEONE PLEASE MILK THIS COW!! CAN YOU SAY MASTITIS??
The topography is getting better and better all the time. Finally we come near Caceres, which was just down the hill.... which took forever it seems. Like most big cities, once in it, the arrows seem to disappear. But I ask for directions. And they get me to town. We stayed in a hostal right in the center which was recommended by another pilgrim. It was ok. Not having a bathroom in our room sucks. You have to go down the hall to use it. So does everyone else. We ate at the restaurant downstairs and the food was not good at all. A bit disappointed but we found an internet cafe and that was great. I got to catch up with my emails and upload some Camino info, and talk with home. Inga asked me what I liked best so far and I told her the sheep story. You had to be there, I guess. I am now updated with the family and with the Birth Cottage. Rest tonight. TOTAL 22,2 KILOMETERS

1 comment:

Melinda da Silva said...

Found your blog and I love it. I especially like the short videos.