Monday, May 19, 2008

May 9 - Almaden to Real de la Jara

The 3 of us (Moos, Salvador and I) were the last to leave. Angel woke me up, gave me a piece of paper with his phone number and told me he was going to walk further ahead today. This 75 year old man is walking 40+ kilometer days from now on. Puts some of us to shame (not because how fast he´s walking the Via, but because his body can do so much)! On we went and it was another nice walk. The skies are overcast and a bit chilly. Unfortunately, it was another road day! See, the Guardia Civil yesterday as well as the woman of the albergue told me the road through the private estate was closed now. Pissed me off!! Why? When we got to Real de la Jara, Esmeralda told me that nooooo, the estate was open and that the road was beautiful! The CSJ guide says it is open, but we went with what the people had told us and bummer, they were wrong. Several of us were disappointed with this. Lesson.... ???
Either way, it was a nice walk, for the sides of the road we walked on was full of farms with bulls, sheep and those black (yummy ham) pigs. Oak trees in abundance, for these pigs eat acorns, which helps make their ham the best tasting in the world! The scents of the bushes, the flowers is intoxicating. I do not know the name of it, but the scent of church incense is all around us. The flowers from those bushes are blooming. I love it! The stork nests, which are on every corner of every tall building, especially churches are occupied by the mamas and little little babies. I can see their little bills poking over the sides of the nests. I cannot wait to see them taking their first flights. We are now in town and went to the ayuntamiento to get our credenciales stamped and pay our fees but it was closed with a note to go to the woman´s house who works there and let her know we are here. We do so; I notice I am limping a little more than earlier today and feel much pain. hmmm. We went back to the albergue which is at the beginning edge of town. You walk into a dining room and there are bedrooms on wither side with a small kitchen. It feels like you are in a cave, and have to duck yourhead as you go from room to room. The flies....oh my,the flies! Dozens of them in there. UGH! Salvador passed the time catching them. Then he and Moos went to the castle to explore it. At night it is lit up. Finally we go back to the ayuntamiento and wait for the woman. We meet a young man from Finland who speaks perfect Spanish. As we pay, Manolo arrives. Manolo is someone who had contacted me through a forum I belong to. We had hoped to meet and exchanged phone numbers. I recognized him right away when he arrived and we hugged. So cool we were able to accomplish a meeting. We went back to the albergue and was happy we were staying on the second floor. Spacious, wonderful and NO FLIES! Moos, Manolo, Salvador and I went to town and had tapas for dinner. We let Manolo order since he knew what sounded good and we had an enjoyable dinner. The pain in my leg is worrying me. TOTAL 16 KILOMETERS

No comments: