Monday, May 19, 2008

May 7 - Guillena to Castilblanco de los Arroyos


I did not feel too tired this morning. Even after an uncomfortable sleep. Not quite used to hard floors! We took our time and were the last to leave. A little road walking, not too much and finally on real paths, which gives me a better feeling that I am on a Camino. The ground is still a bit flat, very gentle rises here and there, but nothing that taxes the breath. We went through many gates, ran into Esmeralda (Peru) and her German friend. Wildflowers are starting to show themselves, that makes me a very happy pilgrim. Flowers are something that gives me such pleasure. At home my gardens, my pots are full of flowering plants. My birth center is maintained by gardeners that make our place so beautiful that people who are stopped in traffic in front of our buiilding have called us on their cell phones to tell us they love our garden. Yes, flowers fill me with beauty. We are walking among olive trees and oaks, a rocky path that requires alot of looking down. Still, I stop and turn around so I can see where we have been, take a swig of water and look ahead. I am starting to feel good, content. We arrive in Castilblanco de los Arroyos and quickly find the albergue, located behind a petrol station. We are some of the first there, all our friends from Guillena are already settled in. We shower, wash clothes and rest. The albergue has a patio just outside the door and one can see over the rooftops of the town. All the houses are white, with red roofs. The sun is setting and making those colors that makes one feel peaceful. Many others arrived, a couple on bikes and then all the beds were full. Today many Germans and a couple from Iran. I heard later that this past Saturday night, while everyone was asleep, some guys came in with a fire extinguisher and sprayed the pilgrims that were by the door with it, then ran out. The police were called and no one knows whatever became of it. Luckily it was not us, for Sal and I were sleeping in the same beds. We went to a bar for dinner just across the street and ate with Angel and Moos. Angel is an amazing man. This is his 15th Camino. He has walked them all and this is the 5th time on the Via de la Plata. He says this is his favorite...why? "You´ll see", he tells me. I smile, I cannot wait! Pilgrim menu was not too bad; Salvador loves to say albóNdigas. TOTAL 17,8 KILOMETERS

1 comment:

fototaker Tony said...

15!?! and I haven't done not one!!! hahahahaa and the spanish make such great albóNdigas too!!!! very tasty!!! cuidate... those stupid people - they learn the hatred from watching too many americvan tele series and USA movies - it was never like dat before - just NOW with the younger people.... the USA is a bad influence sometimes, specially thru the books, movies and poor tele programming.