Monday, May 19, 2008

May 12 - Fuente de Cantos to Merida

Okay, Okay, I was looking for the sign, and nothing came down like lightning. What did happen was that people told me to take it easy. Enough people told me that until I felt obliged to honor their wishes (yes, I know). So I told Salvador, walking or coming with me. Not sure why, really, since he has been enjoying the walking and even wanted to walk by himself a few times, but he decided to go with me. We went to the bus station in Fuente and took the next bus to Merida. A quick ride later we were there. The bus station was right by the modern bridge that crosses into the casco viejo (old town) and I made it into Merida. From that bridge you can see the ancient Roman bridge right across the way. I was in a lot of pain at this point and was glad we did not have to go too far to find the albergue. As we were coming back from the tourist center, coming straight at us was Manolo. We were all happy to run into each other again and we met back up at the albergue. Juanito the hospitalero was not there yet so the 3 of us and now 4, with Jordi from Barcelona, spread my sarong on the ground and turned it into our dining table. Manolo got on his bike and brought back bread and fruit, we all took out what we had in our packs and made a splendid lunch. Juanito came and we moved into the albergue. It was full by the late afternoon. This albergue, El Molino de Pan Caliente, is very nice, very clean. And the location is awesome. At night though, the street lights come in through the windows and shines right on our faces, no problem, I put my head at the foot of the bed (why didn´t anybody else?).
That evening we walked a little to find some dinner, then headed back to sleep. Next day Salvador and I found the hostal we had heard about and moved in for another couple of days. In all we stayed in Merida 3 nights.
Monday, yeah, all museums and touristy sights are closed, so we did not get to visit the the amphitheater but got a sneak peek of it through the fence. Oh how I wish I could have been standing in the middle of it. Just for the sheer feeling of ancient energy. We did get to see some of the other Roman ruins and now wish to go back as a tourist.
My purpose for staying in Merida was to rest the leg/hip/foot issue and find a therapist for it. Took a while, but finally I found someone who could see me and off I went to his office. He is called a quiromasajista, like a combination chiropractor and massage therapist. I renamed him quiromasadista! Octavio Augusto, how is that for a Roman name. Nice man.... until he touched me. Pain, all pain!! Definitely not like the wonderful massages I got back at home. But this was therapy, got to get that hip and leg thing resolved! At the end he pulled on my leg so hard and jerked it so violently, that I left with knee pain which I did not have when I arrived. I rested after that. The next day I went back for more!UGH, but I knew what I needed and asked him to skip the leg jerking part. Instead his helper came in too and they held me down adn turned my hip one way and my shoulders the other and I yelled at them. Oh my goodness!! But, guess what... I felt like I could walk.
Manolo and I went to a Jazz bar with live music and it was very nice. He left the next day.
Salvador and I took it easy, a little sightseeing, ate out every time. He really enjoyed the Montaditos restaurant, where there are over 100 different tiny sandwiches to choose from.

3 comments:

fototaker Tony said...

this is a great post and thanks for reminding me that I should park the car next time and tour Merida; lordy knows how many times I have driven past there but didn't. si... las casa de 100 Montaditos is a fave also in Cadiz province and there's even one in my little town Rota! did they also have the old framed pixs of all the casas all over and of Madrid? i can smell the food, pencilling in what i want on the lista de precios y menu.... and those stale patatas fritas en el centro del plato!!! jajajajaaa oh the memories!! thanks so much!!!!

Deborah said...

Lilli, thank you so much for the photos and information about the Baths. This was one thing I was curious about and now we'll be SURE to stop here! Muchas Gracias!

Anniesantiago said...
This comment has been removed by the author.