Monday, May 19, 2008

May 8 - Castilblanco to Almaden de la Plata

We left early (early for us, everyone else except Moos was gone). The town was still asleep. I believe only 1 bar was open. We walked among all the little white homes and out of town, over the road. And on and on the road went. I meant to share that I have this little hip pain that radiates down my right leg, which at times becomes quite painful. So far it has not given me too much trouble, other than achiness. Walking on the road for so long starts to wear on my little bones. And this etapa is a very long one. I had to stop a few times to rest my leg and as we were approaching the turnoff to go into the park, I knew I had to stop. At this point I had walked almost 17 kilometers. If I had known, I would have taken a ride to the entrance to the park and walked the rest. But I was scared that I would get in trouble once going up the steep mountain. I really wish I had done that. For the worst part was that long and boring road, and the best part was yet to come.... a climb to El Berrocal, about 200 meters higher than where we were, and straight up. I told Salvador to keep going and that I would thumb a ride. Moos was waiting for us at the entrance of the park and Salvador really wanted to do it. I did not fear hitch-hiking (last time I hitchhiked was in 1970 with 2 other girls through Spain, France and England, on our way to the Isle of Wight music festival).
Off he went and I sat there for a moment. I could hear a car coming in the distance and I got up and walked to the other side of the road and stuck out my thumb. It was the Guardia Civil!! I remember how scared the people were of the brutal Guardia Civil in the times of Franco. Well, they were very nice men and stopped for me and took me to Almaden de la Plata and dropped me off right in front of the albergue. I waited for Salvador and Moos at the albergue. It was raining, everyone was wet. The woman at the albergue set up heaters for people to dry their clothes. Again the albergue filled up. Quite a few cyclists this time. Half had done the road the other half went over the Berrocal and were nursing their very tired leg muscles. Salvador swears he lost a kilo on this walk today. He took pictures through the park, El Berrocal, where there are beautiful views. (Once I can get his camera I can post some of thos pics). The skies opened up and poured heavily, but that did not stop anyone from going out to eat. Again the 4 of us ate together. Moos who is from Holland, is a very friendly man. (I think he´s a Viking) It was good for Salvador to have him as a walking buddy. TOTAL 29,4 KILOMETERS.

2 comments:

CarolineMathieson said...

Hunny, I'm sorry that you missed the walk through El Berrocal. It's absolutely gorgeous and one of my favourite sections of the Via.

The first time, my partner and I walked the road first but ever time since then I have taken a taxi to the gates of the park so that I would enjoy the walk much more.

When I walked through it during my sabbatical, I sat at a particular spot for several hours and just took in the bird song and the wind and the wonderful flowers everywhere.

I'm really sad you missed it!

Caroline.

MermaidLilli said...

I can still go back and redo it. I liked the Via soooo much I would do it again.